Monday, July 27, 2015

Oh, How Much I Love to Ramble

Oh so how much I wish
 that I could say
that my very first thing that I did every day
was to run to my Bible with excitement,
a twinkling light in my eyes, and maybe a little trepidation,
because I knew I would be queried afterwards
by my family that was full of
Southern Baptist preachers.
And whatever your answer was
It had better come straight word-for-word from
the King James Version.
Obviously there was no other.
(I did love the pictures.)
But now I wish to know
that if you knew the scriptures so
and were such a model of conviction,
why did you let 'you know what - the family secret' continue?
Did you even ever take the time to know how bad it was
and how we had to hide the bruises, the fear in our eyes and the blood?
Or did you so politely avert your eyes?
And are you aware
of the very strict rules we had to follow?
Of course you are,
because according to family history,
you had it so much worse.
No worries there, though,
because I broke quite a few of these rules
when I became a teenager.
And may I say,
even to this day,
I am really getting tired
of being harassed because of
how much
I look and sound like my biological
father.
May I please request,
as my father is no longer with us,
could you please let up?
And dare I say
that it was not my fault
that I am the one that was born with two strong legs.
I'm quite sure that was God's plan.
But the good news is,
when my sister was very sick,
and most of the rest of the time
for some obscure reason,
I was mostly on my own,
so I started to write poems.
You see,
the words just flowed
and seemed to come so easily.
It was as if I was writing a diary.
I told no one of this hobby,
for fear of being teased and told
that I was much too sensitive.
You were correct in this case, though.
Alas I was unfortunate to win a trophy
for a poem I wrote when I was very young.
I guess what I'm trying to say
is never be afraid to be your true self
because the Good Lord knew
what He was doing
when He made you.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment