Saturday, June 8, 2013

INSPIRATION FROM GRANDMA BETTIE (updated)

This poem was written by my ancestor, Elizabeth "Bettie" Ann Cornelison to her daughter in August of 1895:

Dear children, though I am far from you
I do not you forget.
I left you in God's gracious care
and cannot see you yet.

I am lonely here and have been ere
so long I've been away.
But hope the Lord will us reward
with meeting you someday.

This is a sad and lonely place
a dreary land to me.
But tis enough if I can come
my children for to see.

And all my dearest loving ones
who are so dear to me
I hope I'll meet some early day
in sweet communion be.

Dear children in this dreary land
to one another prove
a blessing as you journey on
the road to heaven above.

Be humble always and be kind.
Be loving, gentle, true.
If long or short on earth you stay
let every day renew.

And when in trouble here on earth
so low beneath the wave,
remember He who bore the cross.
He did it you to save.

I now command you to the Lord
and hope you will keep His holy word.
Through life be kept by his kind power
and saved in heaven above.

Where sin and sorrow never comes
and death will be a stranger.
Nothing but love and joy and peace
there with the blessed angels.

The blessed savior up above
who reigns in peace and joy and love
will with His chosen people be
through an endless
eternity.


Rest with the angels until God brings us together,
my sweet inspirational grandmother. Thank you for paving the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment